"We refer all of our kiteboarding lessons to the Kiteboarding School of Maui (KSM). They offer professional, individual instruction at great rates."
President-Neil Pryde Maui
Do I need assistance to launch or land the kite?
You normally do not need any assistance launching or landing your kite unless you are trying to launch or land on a crowded beach or the beach has considerable shore break. Different kites (4-line C, 5-line C, Bow/SLE) require different launching, landing, and water relaunching techniques and your vendor, kite manual, or instructor can explain the correct technique for your kite. Self-landing a kite on a crowded beach would put others at risk, therefore, a self-landing/self-rescue type maneuver at a safe distance from shore is called for. If attempting to land your kite to someone on the beach, identify that person as a kiter by communicating hands signals. If you want someone to assist in launching your kite be sure to ask first if he or she kiteboards and again establish hand signals before separating.
- What are the terms and names for kiteboarding tricks?
- What is the difference between kitesurfing, kiteboarding, and flysurfing?
- What is the wind window?
- Can I relaunch the kite from the water?
- Do I need assistance to launch or land the kite?
- How much does equipment cost?
- How big a kiteboard should I choose?
- What is the typical wind range of a kite?
- How many kites do I need?
- Will I need a wetsuit on Maui?
- What equipment do I need to kitesurf?
- Do I need to bring anything with me for the lesson?
- When is the best time to come to Maui for lessons?
- Is kiteboarding safe?
- How hard is it to learn how to kite?
- I am a windsurfer, is it hard to convert?
- How fast will I learn the sport?
- What sort of physical shape do I need to be in?
- I have done some trainer kite flying and body draggng. Will I be able to take a class starting with the kiteboard on my first lesson?
- Will I be riding on a board the first day?
- Will I get on the water on the first day of lessons?
- What is the best time of day for lessons?
- My son and I would like to take a lesson together. Do we have to each take private lessons or can we take lessons with one instructor?
- What can I do to prepare for my lesson ahead of time?
- I already kiteboard. Can I rent kites?
- What does FAA have to do with kiteboarding on Maui?
- What does the IKO and PASA certification offer students?
- Is KSM insured?
- How long has KSM been in business?
- How much experience do KSM instructors have?
- What sets KSM apart from other Maui kiteboarding schools?
- What should I look for so I know I have found a safe, quality school?
- Will the 2009 Cabrinha IDS control bar work with 2008 Cabinha kites?
- Is the bow kite bridle system complicated?
- How do the bow kites turn?
- What does the bridle on a bow kite do?
- Can I use the bow kite with a 5th line?
- Are bow kites better than other kite designs?
- How did kiteboarding start?