"Every August and since the first Kite Surf event in August 2000, Martin's company, Kiteboarding School of Maui, has held an event for youth involved in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. Martin wanted to give youth the opportunity to experience something they may never have had the chance to, while maintaining safety."
Program Director-Big Brothers Big Sisters of Maui (BBBS)
What is the typical wind range of a kite?
Different kite designs have different wind ranges but certain other factors have to be taken into consideration as well. Those factors include the person's physical size, skill level with the kite, surface conditions of the water, and board size. In general, for an individual weighing 160 lbs, intermediate in skill level, using a bow design kite with a 133 cm board in 25- 30 mph winds, the kite size would be 7.0. For the same individual kiting in 17-25 mph winds, the kite size would be 9.0, in 13-17 mph winds the kite size would be 12.0, and in winds 9-17 mph, a 16.0 would be the call. If the kite isn't flying well in the lighter wind range for a given size, the rider could take out a floatier directional board and still have a great time rather than call it a day.
- What are the terms and names for kiteboarding tricks?
- What is the difference between kitesurfing, kiteboarding, and flysurfing?
- What is the wind window?
- Can I relaunch the kite from the water?
- Do I need assistance to launch or land the kite?
- How much does equipment cost?
- How big a kiteboard should I choose?
- What is the typical wind range of a kite?
- How many kites do I need?
- Will I need a wetsuit on Maui?
- What equipment do I need to kitesurf?
- Do I need to bring anything with me for the lesson?
- When is the best time to come to Maui for lessons?
- Is kiteboarding safe?
- How hard is it to learn how to kite?
- I am a windsurfer, is it hard to convert?
- How fast will I learn the sport?
- What sort of physical shape do I need to be in?
- I have done some trainer kite flying and body draggng. Will I be able to take a class starting with the kiteboard on my first lesson?
- Will I be riding on a board the first day?
- Will I get on the water on the first day of lessons?
- What is the best time of day for lessons?
- My son and I would like to take a lesson together. Do we have to each take private lessons or can we take lessons with one instructor?
- What can I do to prepare for my lesson ahead of time?
- I already kiteboard. Can I rent kites?
- What does FAA have to do with kiteboarding on Maui?
- What does the IKO and PASA certification offer students?
- Is KSM insured?
- How long has KSM been in business?
- How much experience do KSM instructors have?
- What sets KSM apart from other Maui kiteboarding schools?
- What should I look for so I know I have found a safe, quality school?
- Will the 2009 Cabrinha IDS control bar work with 2008 Cabinha kites?
- Is the bow kite bridle system complicated?
- How do the bow kites turn?
- What does the bridle on a bow kite do?
- Can I use the bow kite with a 5th line?
- Are bow kites better than other kite designs?
- How did kiteboarding start?